What are some grade 3 math vocabulary words? How can I help my grade 3 maths? What type of math should a 3rd grader know? It starts to be more difficult in the third grade math, and so many wonders appear by your side – the parents. Hereby, we will introduce the list of mathematics skills and vocabulary with definitions and examples, tips, cool learning games to help 3rd graders learn them with excitement.
What math skills should a 3rd graders or 8 year olds know?
- Number and Number Sense
- Measurement and Geometry
- Computation and Estimation
- Probability and Statistics
- Patterns, Functions, and Algebra
Number and Number Sense
- Number Line
Ask the Kids if the numbers “grow” (become larger) as you move to the right or to the left across the number line. Discuss the concept that the more you move to the right, the higher the number. If you move to the left (backwards on the number line) the numbers become smaller
- Equal To
- Place Value Position
- Proper Fraction
- Improper Fraction
- Mixed Number
A fun way to express an improper fraction is by using a mixed number.
A mixed number is a whole number and a proper fraction combined. Let’s look at the last example again.
How many whole squares do you have colored? That’s right! You have 2 whole squares are colored.
What fraction can represent the third square? That’s right! 3 out of 4 parts is colored. That means 3/4 of the third square is colored.
When you combine the wholes and the fraction part, you get a mixed number!
This is how you write a mixed number 2 3/4.
These are the parts of a mixed number:
Computation and Estimation – Grade 3 Math Vocabulary
- Multiply: Product
- Multiplication: Set Model
- Multiplication: Array Model
- Multiplication: Area (array) Model
- Multiplication: Number Line Model
| >>> You might interested in: Cool Math Games for 8 years olds Kids
- Divide: Quotient
- Division: Number Line and Array Models
- Related Facts: Addition/Subtraction
- Related Facts: Multiplication/Division
- Equation: Number Sentence
- Fraction: Addition
- Fraction: Subtraction
Measurement and Geometry
Measurement – Grade 3 Mathematics Vocabulary
- Ruler: Centimeter and Inch
- Liter – better way to teach is using house materials to show them like this
- Area: Square Units
- Perimeter: Units
- Clock: Minutes, One-half Hour, One Hour
- Elapsed Time
Geometry – 3rd grade math vocabulary
- Plane Figures
- Polygons: Triangles
- Polygons: Quadrilaterals
- Polygons: Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, and Octagon
- Polygons: Nonagon and Decagon
- Rectangle: Right Angle
- Square: Right Angle
- Triangle: Side and Vertex
- Line Segment
- Point – Angle – Line – Ray
Probability and Statistics
- Bar Graph
- Equally Likely